Dallas 18-Wheeler truck accident attorney

What makes 18-wheeler truck accidents so dangerous? Several factors, including an 18-wheeler’s size and inability to maneuver efficiently in emergency situations, make injury potential (usually sustained by occupants of the other vehicle/s involved the accident) much greater and more severe. Most vehicles on the road weigh in the 3,000 to 4,000 pound range while an 18-wheeler can weigh 80,000 pounds! That’s hardly a fair fight.

In 2017, 24,784 of these big rigs were involved in accidents on our Texas roadways. The Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) reports that Texas is one of ten states with the highest average of fatal large truck and bus crashes. FMCSA further reports that 61% of fatal truck accidents occurred on rural roads and that means the other 39% of fatal truck accidents happen on highways and in urban areas like our own Dallas roadways.

Cause and responsible party

In an effort to make roadways safer for everyone who uses them, Federal and Texas State laws regulate the trucking industry. If you have been in an accident with an 18-wheeler, contact the Law Office of Dorothy Hyde to speak with a Dallas truck accident attorney. Our truck accident team will conduct a thorough investigation that includes checking to see whether or not the driver of the 18-wheeler was in compliance with trucking regulations. Our investigation will examine facts and details relating to regulations including the following:

  • At the time of the accident was the driver in compliance with Hours of Service regulations that limit the hours and consecutive days that property and passenger carrying drivers may operate their vehicles?
  • Was the 18-wheeler properly maintained by the driver and/or trucking company?
  • Was the driver distracted at the time of the accident by cell/text/email or other prohibited conduct?
  • Was the driver properly licensed and trained in accordance with Texas and federal regulations?
  • Was the 18-wheeler’s freight loaded in compliance with safe loading standards?
  • Was the driver impaired by drugs, alcohol, or driving fatigue?

Following an 18-wheeler truck accident, it is critical that information is preserved such as accident recordings (trucks may be equipped with cameras) and driver logs. If you are not familiar with regulations that govern the trucking industry, let our truck accident experts help you with evidence gathering and regulation checks that may help to strengthen your case and potential for recovery.

Damages and Injuries After an 18-Wheeler Truck Accident

As mentioned above, the immense size and weight of an 18-wheeler can cause devastating injuries including permanent impairment or death. There are many factors that must be evaluated in order to determine the recovery amount that will fully compensate you for your injuries. If you are in an accident caused by a truck driver’s negligence, you may be entitled to recover an amount that includes your medical bills (including past, ongoing, and future medical needs), loss of wages, loss of future wages, pain and suffering, and compensation for physical impairment or disability. contact the Law Office of Dorothy Hyde to find the Dallas truck accident attorney who will work to see that you receive the compensation to which you are entitled.