Misdiagnosed Woman Spends Thousands Of Dollars
When Christine Brothers went to her doctor for a routine bladder check, she was in for some shocking news – she had multiple masses on her abdomen. When she returned for further checks, she learned she has metastatic non-small cell carcinoma.
That started a nightmare that nobody wants to endure. She told her family and they began making preparations. They sold some possessions to pay for a series of tests that she started to undergo.
Except, it turns out she did not have cancer at all. When Brothers saw her OB/GYN, she was urged to get another opinion. A new pathologist made the determination – her diagnosis had been wrong. What they had originally seen on the CAT scan was splenic tissue from a splenectomy Brothers has had decades before.
Since the misdiagnosis, Brothers has had to pay thousands of dollars of medical bills out-of-pocket. She’s been paying for tests that were not necessary.
At the Law Office of Dorothy Hyde, we know that a misdiagnosis is just one way in which medical mistakes can change our lives. When you need a Dallas medical malpractice attorney, you can turn to us for help.
Reports now show us that medical mistakes are the third leading cause of death in the United States. How, in a country, this advanced, is that possible?
Let’s look at a few of the common ways these mistakes occur, but please note that this list is not exhaustive and you should always speak with an attorney about your particular case.
- Misdiagnosis: You saw in the story above how a misdiagnosis can affect someone. Researchers at Johns Hopkins tell us that there are many times when doctors, PAs, and nurse practitioners make errors when diagnosing patients. Often, these misdiagnoses lead to delayed treatment.
- Infections: Each day in the US around one in 30 hospital patients in the hospital acquires an infection. This is not talked about enough, but most of these incidents are preventable by steps medical staff can take.
- Medication Errors: From the time a doctor gives an order for medication, there are many steps that the order goes through before being given. Still, many people are given the wrong medication, the wrong, dosage, or not given their medication at all.
- Surgical Errors: Surgical mistakes are scary. Even minor mistakes can lead to a person need in a follow-up operation and extended hospital stay.
Your Steps Moving Forward
If you or a loved one have suffered due to the errors of a healthcare professional, seek legal assistance as soon as possible. At the Law Office of Dorothy Hyde, we are ready to help you recover the compensation you deserve after a mistake has been made. We know that medical errors can change your life and cost a tremendous amount of money.
Our team will work with you to investigate your case and get to the bottom of what went wrong. We will move to secure:
- Coverage for your medical expenses
- Pain and suffering damages
- Punitive damages