Hurt On Someone Else’s Property? Take These Steps
We know that when you head out to go somewhere, the last thing on your mind is that you may get hurt somehow. You are a safe person, right?
Unfortunately, it often does not matter how safe you are. Whether you are going to the store, a government office, or even to a person’s private residence, there are times when the property owner does not ensure your safety.
Maybe it is a slip and fall caused by a wet floor. Perhaps a store’s shelves were rusty and your child got hurt. Regardless of how you or a loved one get hurt while on someone else’s property, you need to know what to do.
We want to walk you through some basic steps to take when you need a premises liability attorney in Dallas. At the Law Office of Dorothy Hyde, our knowledgeable and experienced team will work hard to secure the compensation you need.
Steps To Take
There are many ways in which people get hurt due to a property owner’s negligence. This can include injuries in ill-repaired parking lots, unsafe conditions inside of buildings, and improper employee training that leads to patrons getting hurt.
- If you have been injured, the first thing you need to do is seek medical treatment for your injuries. This may mean you need to call 911 or take yourself immediately to the ER. Even if you only think you have sustained a minor injury, it could worsen over time.
- Notify store management as soon as possible so they can document the information,
- Obtain all records related to the incident. This includes medical records and, if possible, paperwork from the store related to the incident.
- Follow your doctor’s prescribed plan, including all follow-up visits. This important because it shows that you truly were injured and are doing everything you can to fix the problem.
- Seek help from a qualified and experienced attorney who is familiar with premises liability cases. An attorney can help you gather the documentation and evidence you need, including any available surveillance related to the incident.
Please know that businesses and other property owners will secure an attorney to defend themselves against any claim to avoid making a payment. They will do their best to prove you were either not injured or caused your own injury. The best way to combat this is to have a skilled attorney by your side.
Moving Forward From Here
If you or a loved one have sustained an injury due to the negligence of a property owner or their employees, let us help. At the Law Office of Dorothy Hyde, you can count on having the best premises liability attorney in Dallas by your side, fighting to secure compensation for the following:
- Medical expenses related to the incident
- Lost wage recovery if you cannot work
- Loss of enjoyment of life damages
- Punitive damages