A man who killed a woman after driving his vehicle at 107 mph in January is not facing a manslaughter charge. 21-year-old Alejandro Hernandez was driving east on W. Danieldale Road in Duncanville when he slammed into a Dodge Avenge. The woman in the Avenge, Tiffany Hamlet, was taken to the hospital but was pronounced dead on arrival.
At the Law Office of Dorothy Hyde, we know that you may be looking for answers after an incident that takes the life of a loved one. Let Dottie Hyde help you. She will vigorously pursue the compensation you deserve when you need a Dallas wrongful death attorney.
What Will Happen Here?
In the case discussed above, Hernandez got away after the incident but turned himself in to the Dallas County Sheriff’s Office two months later. While we will have to wait to see how the case goes, we still do not know why he was traveling at such a high rate of speed. That kind of reckless driving is almost always going to cause a person serious injuries or death.
We also do not know if Hamlet’s family will pursue a wrongful death case against Hernandez. Wrongful death cases arise when the negligence of another person, agency, company, or group causes the death of someone else. These cases are usually brought by the deceased’s surviving family members.
Today, we want to discuss some of the common ways in which these cases arise, but please know that this is not a complete list. You should always speak with a qualified attorney about your particular case.
- Drunk and drugged drivers – for the latest reporting year in Texas, we know that 28% of all traffic-related fatalities were the result of alcohol-impaired drivers.
- Distracted drivers – anyone who keeps their eyes glued to their phones is much more likely to cause a crash. Texting and driving or watching videos while driving is deadly.
- Speeding and reckless driving – as we see in the story above, driving at excessive speeds can cause significant injuries and fatalities.
- Medical mistakes – we know that medical mistakes are the third leading cause of death in the US and happen when a healthcare provider is negligent in their duties.
- Work-related incidents – for high-risk industries like construction, transportation, warehousing, etc., employers should always ensure workers are safe and have the equipment they need.
- Premises liability – property owners have a duty to ensure the safety of anyone who has a right and expectation to be present.
- Faulty products – we know that defective products can cause fatalities and have seen this happen with things like vehicles, herbicides, exploding airbags, and more.
How We Can Help
If you have lost a loved one due to the negligent behavior of another person, group, or company, please seek legal assistance as soon as possible. At the Law Office of Dorothy Hyde, you can count on having someone by your side with the experience needed to secure compensation for the following:
- Funeral and burial expenses
- Loss of income and benefits of the deceased
- Pain and suffering damages
- Loss of companionship damages
- Punitive damages against those responsible