Dallas Slip and Fall Attorney
The personal injury lawyers at the Dallas Law Office of Dorothy Hyde are well-versed in slip, trip and fall claims involving unsafe conditions, and can help determine if you have grounds for litigation. Leveraging more than 25 years of hard-won experience, Dottie Hyde has the legal savvy and resources to get results for her clients and has procured dozens of large settlements and court awards over the years.
Falls are the number one cause of serious and fatal injury in older adults, placing them at risk of losing their health and independence. Roughly 30 percent of falls in seniors cause moderate to severe injuries that can diminish quality of life, inhibit mobility and escalate the risk of premature death. However, falls are not confined to just elderly residents in Texas. Slip, trip and fall accidents can happen anytime, and negatively affect even the young and able-bodied.
A large portion of slip and fall accidents in Texas arise from a hazardous property condition – from uneven flooring to slippery sidewalks, or pieces of loose carpeting. Property owners are under obligation to keep their premises reasonably safe and free of potential dangers for visitors and guests. When proper maintenance fails to take place and someone gets injured because of this negligence, victims may have the right to sue for damages.
Contact attorney Dorothy Hyde. If we don’t win your case, there are no fees!
Call Toll Free: 214-883-1700
Key slip and fall accident statistics
The following numbers show the prevalence and grave consequences of slip and fall accidents.
- Each year, falls among people 65 and older account for 2.5 million emergency department visits and over 700,000 hospitalizations.
- Roughly 20,000 senior Americans die annually from fall-related injuries
- Falls are the second most common cause of traumatic brain injury (TBI) and spinal injury in older adults
- Floors and flooring materials are responsible for more than 2 million fall injuries every year, according to the Consumer Product Safety Commission
- Slip and fall accidents are the leading cause of occupational injury and workman’s compensation claims for people 55 years and older
- In 2007, more than 50,000 Texans age 50 and older were hospitalized for accidental falls
- Falls cause more than 95 percent of hip fractures in the elderly
- Of all fall-related fatalities, some 60 percent involve seniors aged 75 or older
While some trips and falls are purely accidental and without blame, other instances may have been avoided with due diligence and careful property maintenance. In cases like these, slip and fall attorney Dorothy Hyde will investigate to see if a duty was breached, and legal action is warranted.
Causes of trip & fall accidents
Texas landowners and property owners are required under law to routinely inspect their premises for possible hazards or unsafe conditions. They must warn their customers (or “invitees”) of known dangers and take reasonable precautions to prevent injury. Owners, and in some cases property managers, are not allowed to have potentially dangerous conditions on their premises that could cause harm or even death.
Negligence needs to be established in slip and fall cases to show that the owner or manager failed to keep their property reasonably safe for others.
Premises liability in Texas
Examples of property owner negligence that contribute to accidents can include:
- Polished or wet floors not marked with a “caution” sign
- Uneven sidewalks
- Loose carpeting or bunched up rugs
- Faulty handrails
- Food that has fallen onto the floor and not been cleaned up
- Exposed electrical cords that pose a tripping hazard
- Ice, snow or wet spots that should have been removed by the property owner
- Unnecessary clutter in aisles or walkways
Slip and fall accidents can occur in both the public and private sectors. Parking lots, driveways, curbs, sidewalks, stairwells and aisles are common locations for accidental falls, which can leave victims with life-threatening injuries and tremendous financial burdens.
Victims left with catastrophic slip and fall injuries
Accidental falls are the underlying cause of thousands of deaths every year. According to the Centers for Disease Control, one out of five falls results in serious harm such as bone fractures or head injury.
Injuries resulting from trip, slip and fall accidents commonly include:
- Broken bones
- Spinal cord injury
- Traumatic brain injury
- Back and neck trauma
- Open head wounds
Fortunately, Texas law provides accident victims with legal recourse. A successful lawsuit can recover much-needed compensation while providing a sense of closure in knowing that the negligent party or parties will be held liable for their transgressions.
Liability issues in slip & fall accidents
Dallas injury attorney Dorothy Hyde can help victims file a premises liability lawsuit following a slip and fall accident if one of the following can be proven:
- The property owner caused an unsafe condition such as a wet floor or uneven flooring
- Despite knowledge of a dangerous condition the property owner did nothing about it
- The property owner should have known about a reasonably discoverable hazard or unsafe condition and taken measures to repair it
Whether the claim is settled out of court or goes before a jury, a plaintiff can seek economic and non-economic losses associated with their slip and fall injuries.
Monetary damages for a slip and fall claim may include:
- Past, present and future medical expenses
- Lost wages and reduced earning capacity
- Emotional distress
- Pain and suffering
- Permanent disability
- Wrongful death
Dallas slip and fall lawyer
After your accident you need knowledgeable lawyers on your side each and every step of the way. You’ll want aggressive premises liability attorneys that aren’t afraid to go to trial and prove your case in court.
The slip and fall accident lawyers at the Law Offices of Dorothy Mulcihy Hyde have 25 years of extensive litigation experience in Dallas fighting for the justice of their clients. We realize that serious injuries demand serious attention and we are here for you.
Contact our office today at 214-612-7786 for a free, no-obligation case review. As always, if we don’t win or settle your case then you won’t pay any fees.
Slip, trip and fall accident resources
- National Conference of State Legislatures, ELDERLY FALLS PREVENTION LEGISLATION AND STATUTES http://www.ncsl.org/research/health/elderly-falls-prevention-legislation-and-statutes.aspx
- National Council on Aging, Preventing Falls—One Step at a Time https://sph.tamhsc.edu/pha/falls/facts-about-falls.pdf
- Texas Department of Aging and Disability Services, https://www.dads.state.tx.us/providers/qmp/evidence-based-best-practices/nursing-facilities/fall-prevention.html